There is nothing quite as comforting on a cold winter day as a bowl of soup. And when it comes to wintertime soup, chicken soup is a classic.
Today I am sharing a simple chicken and rice soup that goes together in no time. We love this! I made this with leftover turkey instead of chicken after the holidays and it was so good.
The egg in this is a little unusual, but it helps give it a thicker, richer, and creamy texture.
Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken, cut into chunks or shredded
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain white rice ( 1 cup if you like a brothy soup, 1 1/2 if you like a thicker heartier soup)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- In a large pan heat oil and then cook onion until tender. Add carrots and cooked for 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth, chicken, thyme, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and stir in rice.
- Reduce heat and cook on low 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Crack eggs into a small bowl and whisk. Add 1 cup of the hot soup broth to egg and whisk together, than add eggs mixture to soup.
- Stir for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.