This picture for my BBQ Chicken Salad was taken months ago. I think way back in May and I am just now sharing the recipe with you. I can’t believe it took me so long to share this.
This has been one of my family’s go to meals this summer. On the nights where I needed something and did not want to use the oven, or nothing on the menu plan sounded good, this was the salad I turned to.
So, I really have been a bad blogger by not sharing this summer favorite with you. Well, maybe not a bad blogger, but you know what I mean.
Here is where I totally admit that summer has me off schedule and behind on many things, blogging included. I am a scheduled person. I have had people ask me how I do it all, the first answer is I don’t. I don’t even come close. One look at my house today will tell you that. But how do I do what I do, I am a scheduled person.
Give me a to do list and I will tackle it. I love crossing things off a to do list. Yes, I am a bit crazy like that.
In many things this is good, but during the summer, when our schedule is off and we are out of our normal routine, it totally messes me up. Which means I might end up sharing recipes a month or two after I take pictures of them. See what I mean, bad blogger…..
August means back to school month at our house, so hopefully I will be back to a more normal routine and schedule soon. And things here will get back to normal.
Does anyone else feel this way about summer? Don’t get me wrong I love summer, but really I am also so ready to get back to normal.
Now, let’s get back to the salad.
This is one of those salads I knew I had to recreate at home. I have seen barbecue chicken salad on many restaurant menus and knew it would not be difficult to come up with a homemade version. And you all know I love recreating our favorite foods at home.
My homemade version of barbecue ranch chicken salad is a little different than other versions I have seen, because the barbecue ranch flavor does not just come from the dressing, it comes from the chicken as well because I marinade the chicken in the dressing. Delicious!
Marinating the chicken in the dressing makes it extra moist and adds an extra depth of flavor that makes it even better. Even kids will love this. It involves ranch after all and what kid does not like ranch?!
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts or tenders
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup ranch dressing
- 6 cups chopped lettuce
- 1/2 cup cheese
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomatoes
- In a small bowl combine barbecue sauce and ranch dressing.
- Place half of the dressing in a zip top type bag. Place remaining dressing in the refrigerator for use later.
- Place chicken in bag. Mix to coat chicken well. And place in refrigerator.
- Let chicken marinate for several hours or all day.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade.
- Grill chicken over medium heat until done. This takes 5-7 minutes, or longer, per side depending on how large your chicken pieces are.
- Remove chicken from grill and slice.
- Serve chicken over lettuce with beans, cheese, tomatoes, remaining dressing that was reserved, etc.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 961mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 6gSugar: 11gProtein: 33g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.