Black bean pizza is one of the dishes I started making quite a few years ago when our budget was really tight. Yes, pizza at home is a frugal option compared to eating out. But the meat for pizza, like pepperoni, can still be expensive when you are on a very tight budget. So when I saw this meatless black bean pizza in a magazine years ago, I immediately wanted to try it. We loved it and I have made it many times since then.
I like this pizza not only because it is frugal, but because it is healthier than most pizzas. I have tweaked this a bit over the years. This is just a basic idea for a black bean pizza. You can change it around and adjust it to how you like it. Make it more spicy, less spicy, etc.
- pizza crust, unbaked
- 1 can green chilies
- 2 cups black beans
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, partially drained, I drain about 1/2 the liquid off
- black olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 3 cups mexican cheese, cheddar, or a mix of cheddar and jack (basically whatever you like)
- Mix taco seasoning and tomatoes. Spread on crust.
- Sprinkle with green chilies, black beans, olives, and then sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes or until done.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 428Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 694mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 20g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.