Need a classic dessert with a delicious modern twist? Try Chocolate Angel Food Cake.
Have you ever had the chocolate version of Angel Food Cake? It is a basic Angel Food Cake recipe made better with chocolate!
I have been making this recipe for years. I remember my best friend and I making this cake when we were teenagers. That is how long I have been making it.
It is so good and it makes a very impressive dessert.
I was recently adapting this recipe to be gluten free and I realized that I had never post the original recipe on my site. I knew I needed to fix that because this is too good of a recipe not to share with you.
This cake is perfect on it’s own, but if you want to make it even more special, you can serve it with berries and my chocolate whipped cream.
And for my gluten free readers you will want to check out the gluten free recipe Chocolate Angel Food Cake that I also shared today.
- ¾ cup cake flour (it does work better if you use cake flour)
- 1 ½ cups sugar plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- ¼ cup baking cocoa
- 1 ½ cups eggs whites, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a bowl whisk together flour, ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and cocoa. Whisk until well combined and has no lumps. Set aside .
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites, cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla until foamy.
- Add remaining ¾ cup sugar 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- With a rubber scraper fold in flour cocoa mixture a few tablespoons at a time. Mixture will be thick, but do not over beat the mixture. Gently fold in the flour.
- Spread into a 10 inch tube/angel food cake pan (not a bundt pan)
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until the top of the cake springs bake when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert the cake and leave upside down in the pan to cool.
- Once cooled run a knife a long the sides of the pan and remove cake.
- Serve with fruit and whipping cream if desired.
Adapted from Taste Of Home. Originally posted July 2011. Updated June 2019.