Gluten Free Chocolate Angel Food Cake is a classic Angel Food Cake made gluten free.
I have been making Chocolate Angel Food cake for years. I have actually been making this since I was a teenager. My best friend and I used to make it all the time.
Since it was a recipe I loved and had made for years, I knew it was a recipe that I needed to adapt to be gluten free.
I recently gave it a try and it turned out perfectly!
The gluten free version was just as good as I remember the regular version being. It might actually be better than the original recipe.
I have served the gluten free version to company and everyone loves it. No one can tell that it is gluten free. It is that good.
This is great served on its own, but you can make it a little more special and serve it with fruit and homemade chocolate whipped cream.
- ½ cup potato starch
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 ½ cups sugar plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- ¼ baking cocoa
- 1 ½ cups eggs whites, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a bowl whisk together potato starch, cornstarch, xanthan gum, ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and cocoa. Whisk until well combined and does not have lumps.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites, cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla until foamy.
- Add remaining ¾ cup sugar 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- With a rubber scraper fold in flour cocoa mixture a few tablespoons at a time. Mixture will be thick but do not over beat the mixture. Gently fold in the flour.
- Spread into a 10 inch tube/ Angel food cake pan (not a bundt pan)
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until the top of the cake springs bake when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert the cake and leave upside down in the pan to cool.
- Once cooled run a knife a long the sides of the pan and remove cake.
- Serve with fresh fruit and whipping cream.
Serving Size:1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 136mgSodium: 111mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 1gSugar: 30gProtein: 5g