We love caramel corn and what can make caramel corn even better? Chocolate of course.
Last year during the holidays, a friend of ours sent a giant container of different gourmet type popcorn to my husband’s office, for our staff to enjoy. My favorite flavor from the container was a chocolate caramel corn.
I was sure I could come up with a homemade version of this caramel corn.
Well, it proved a bit more of a challenge than I thought it would. I have tried several different batches over the last year and finally came up with a chocolate caramel corn that we really enjoy.
It is not quite the same as what we had, but this is really good.
And not only is this good, but it is also simple and easy to make.
This would make a fun gift to give for the holidays. You can easily place this in some fun holiday bags and tie it shut with a red or green ribbon and it would be a treat that anyone would enjoy.
- 6 quarts of popped popcorn
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup butter
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, melted
- Place popped popcorn into one very large bowl or pan or 2 medium to large bowls.
- In a pan bring the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and cream of tarter to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the baking soda quickly and remove from heat. This will bubbly and foam up. This is a normal reaction when you add the baking soda.
- Pour over popcorn and stir well. The caramel sauce should coat the popcorn. This hardens up quickly so work fast.
- Spread onto 2 foil lined baking sheets and bake at 200 degrees for 1 hour. I rotate the sheets around and stir the caramel corn after 20 minutes and then bake 20 minutes more stir and bake 20 minutes more equaling about 1 hour total.
- This is not crisp when you first take it out. It will harden up some as it cools on the sheets.
- Let cool for about 1 hour and drizzle with melted chocolate.
- Break into pieces and serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 313mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 2gSugar: 46gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.