I really like the combination of chocolate and coconut. I have always enjoyed candies like Mounds candy bars that have the chocolate and coconut combination.
This recipe is a macaroon type recipe, but with a twist, because it contains chocolate chips. Not only does it have chocolate chips in it, you dip these cookies in chocolate. Doubling the chocolate always makes things better.
I will say that these are not one of the prettiest desserts that I made. The fact that they are so good though, makes up for how they look. These are really good and I will be making them again.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 -14 ounce packages of shredded coconut
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- chocolate chips for melting ( I used about 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips)
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites and salt until foamy, about 2 minutes. Then whisk in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla.
- Fold in coconut and 1 cup of chocolate chips. Drop by heaping tablespoons on the parchment paper. You need to form these a little and they will look nicer. You just want them rounded and packed a little bit.
- Bake at 300 for 20 minutes. Let cool on pans for 2-3 minutes and then remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Once the macaroons are cool, melt chocolate chips in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Dip the bottoms of the macaroons into the melted chocolate. I had a few of mine fall apart during this step. However, my kids did not mind that because they got to eat those ones.
- Refrigerate until the chocolate on the bottom hardens.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 139mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 4gSugar: 29gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.