My kids love rice krispy type treats. Well okay, my husband and I love them too.
However, I like my rice krispy treats doctored up a little. Plain ones are good, but fancy rice krispy treats are even better.
Today’s treats are chocolate rice krispy treats. Now, most of the time people just buy chocolate rice krispies or another type of chocolate cereal to make them. I have made them that way, but this recipe today is my favorite way to make chocolate rice crispy treats.
What do I do to make these special? I add cocoa, and not only do I add cocoa, I add chocolate chips that melt into the marshmallows. The combination of the cocoa and chocolate chips makes for the perfect amount of chocolate.
These are really good!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 ½ ounce) bag of mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 8 cups of rice krispy cereal ( use gluten free brown rice cereal for gluten free version )
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- In a large pan melt butter, marshmallow, and cocoa over medium heat, stirring constantly until melted.
- Remove from heat and add cereal. Stir until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips until melted.
- Press into a greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Let sit for several hours, and then cut into bars. These are not quite as firm as regular rice crispy treats. I put them in the refrigerator to help them firm up.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 125mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.