I thought we needed to start the New Year out on a healthier, lighter note, so I decided to share with you my Coconut Asian Noodle Soup today for Souper Monday.
This soup is a version of my basic Asian Noodle Soup that my family loves. Last winter I made my Asian Noodle Soup quite a few times and although we love it, we got tired of it and wanted something a little different.
So, I decided to change it up by adding some coconut milk to it and it was so good. It changed the taste of the soup and gave it a creamy broth. In fact it changed the flavor so much that it seemed like a whole new soup to us.
I love this soup because it is a quick and easy and pretty healthy soup.
And it is one of those soups that is easy to make gluten free because the ingredients are all gluten free. All you need to do is read the labels to be sure there is no hidden gluten in anything and you should be fine. I love normal food that just happens to be gluten free.
- 1- 8 ounce package of rice noodles ( I use the noodles pictures below)
- 3 cans chicken broth ( or about 8 cups of homemade)
- 1- 13 ounce can coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- a one inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 2 pieces
- 2 cups cook chicken, diced
- 2 cups coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
- Red Chili sauce- for serving if you like it spicy (this is an asian style hot sauce)
- Fix noodles according to package directions. This is usually soaking them in hot or boiling water to soften them.
- While the noodles are soaking, heat chicken broth, water, coconut milk, soy sauce, and ginger to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove ginger. ( The ginger is just to add extra flavor to the liquid)
- Add chicken and cook until chicken is heated through. This should just take a few minutes.
- Add coleslaw and softened noodles and simmer for 1-2 minutes. You do not really want to cook the noodles and coleslaw just heat them through.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 1318mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 15g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.