This cake is one of my all time favorite cakes to make. It is rich and creamy and so very good.
I have been making this cake for years. I got this recipe from my mother in law, who got it from her sister in law. So, this recipe comes from my husband’s Aunt Lynn.
I started making this recipe shortly after we were married and it has been one of my favorite cakes ever since. It is a family favorite and I have made it many times over the years.
I recently posted a picture of this cake on facebook and mentioned that I had made it to send to work with my husband. Right away several of you asked for the recipe and I have received several more requests for it over the last week. So, I knew I had to get the recipe posted.
This cake makes the perfect cake to take to a potluck, church dinner, or picnic. Anyone that loves coconut will love this cake.
Now, I will say this is not a diet or low fat cake, but this cake is so rich and creamy that all you really need is a small piece. However, I will admit that it is hard to stop at one small piece.
(And for my gluten free readers I am working on a gluten free version of this. I need to find a good cake that will hold up to the sauce that goes over it, but I miss this cake so I am working on it. So stayed tuned for it.)
- 1 yellow cake mix, plus the ingredients to make the cake
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 - 15 ounce can cream coconut ( This is not coconut milk, this is cream coconut that you find in the drink section of the grocery store)
- 1 - 8 ounce package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 - 12 ounce container of cool whip
- 1 cup coconut
- Make cake according to package directions and bake in a 9x13 pan.
- While the cake is baking mix together the cream of coconut and the sweetened condensed milk.
- Set aside.
- When the cake is done, but still warm, take a fork and poke holes all over the cake.
- While the cake is still warm, pour the cream of coconut/sweetened condensed milk slowly over the cake. This will look like a lot, but will absorb into the cake as it sits. Let the cake cool.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, refrigerate for several hours.
- In a bowl mix the cream cheese until soft and whipped. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over cooled cake.
- Sprinkle with coconut. Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 303mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.