I thought I would take a break from all the sugar and chocolate that I have been posting and share with you a perfect dinner idea for the busy holiday season. After all we do have to eat some regular food in between all that chocolate and sugar, don’t we? If only we could live on just chocolate……
We love chili in our house and eat it often during the fall and winter, but I like to have variety, so I am always looking for new and unique chili recipes.
I have seen several recipes for chili recently that called for beer. I had never thought of putting beer in my chili, but I was intrigued by the idea because I had used wine and beer in other meat dishes and had always been happy with the results.
Beer usually gives things a nice depth of flavor and also helps tenderize meat. In this recipe, it did just that. This chili had both great flavor and texture. And the beer in this recipe added a unique flavor and without being overly strong or beer like.
The other ingredient that I used in this chili was ground pork, but it is not necessary. You could easily use all ground beef or even part ground turkey, but the ground pork gives it a nice flavor that we enjoyed.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (less if you do not like things spicy)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 - 12ounce bottle of beer ( I use a gf beer so that those in the family that eat gf can eat this)
- shredded cheese, sour cream, etc - for serving
- Brown beef and pork with onion and cook until meat is done and onion is tender.
- Drain grease off of meat.
- Combine meat with remaining ingredients in a crockpot ( except cheese and sour cream used for serving.)
- Cook on low for about 6 hours.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and cornbread or chips.
If you are gluten-free use gluten-free beer and read labels to make sure that your ingredients are gluten-free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 470Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 1085mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 8gSugar: 2gProtein: 37g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.