The classic combination of chocolate and peanut butter is combined in these easy to make frosted peanut butter brownies. The instructions include a gluten-free version!
What better combination is there than peanut butter and chocolate? If you love peanut butter these frosted peanut butter brownies are a must try!
I have been making these brownies for years and they are a family favorite.
The Story Behind Frosted Peanut Butter Brownies
I first shared this recipe way back in March 2008. I started my website in February 2008. That means these brownies were one of the first recipes that I shared.
I think the recipe came from a friend, but the original source may have been Taste of Home or Southern Living. Back in the 1990s and early 2000s many of the recipes that my friends and I made were adapted from those two magazines.
My husband loves anything peanut butter so desserts with peanut butter are some of his favorites. The first time I made these he instantly loved them.
Over the years I have taken these brownies to so many potlucks and church dinners.
This recipe is exactly what it sounds like. It is a layer of brownies, then a layer of peanut butter, topped off with a delicious chocolate frosting.
These frosted peanut butter brownies are made in a large jelly roll type of pan so they are a great dessert for serving a crowd.
- baking cocoa
- flour or Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour for gf version
- vanilla extract
- peanut butter
- powdered sugar
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can. The directions actually include how I make them gluten-free. I have tested the recipe with Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten-Free Flour Blend. Other blends might work, but I have only tested them with that blend.
I made these brownies long before my daughter had a peanut allergy. I have tried them with a peanut and nut-free substitute and they were not the same. Technically they work, but you really do need the peanut flavor for the best results. However, if you can have tree nuts, another nut butter would probably work in place of the peanut butter.
- 1 cups butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour - Use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour for gf version
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (18 ounce) jar chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 10 large marshmallow (100 little marshmallows)
- 1/4 cup cocoa (I like to sift it to remove lumps)
- 3 3/4 cup powdered sugar ( I also like to sift this to remove lumps.)
- Cook 1 cup butter and 1/3 cup cocoa in a saucepan over low heat until butter melts. Stir often.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Combine sugar, flour, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add chocolate mixture and beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until well blended.
- The mixture will be thick.
- Spread into a greased 15x10 inch jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove peanut butter from the jar and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for about 1 minute or until peanut butter is spreadable. Spread on brownies.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Cook remaining 1/2 cup butter, milk, and marshmallows in a large saucepan over medium heat until marshmallows melt.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in 1/4 cup cocoa. Gradually stir in powdered sugar until smooth. Spread over the peanut butter layer. Chill for 1 hour or so. Cut into squares. Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 35gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Originally published March 2008. Updated July 2021.