Salmon Burgers are a quick, easy, and inexpensive dinner!
I have been making and easy salmon burgers for years. My mom made them for us when I was a kid and I have made them for my own family for over twenty five years.
I am a Pacific Northwest girl. I grew up in the far northwest corner of Oregon. I did not grow up in a fishing family, but we had friends that sometimes shared their salmon with us.
We would eat it fresh and my mom would can it. Home canned salmon is the best.
I currently live in Oklahoma. The only way I can get salmon in Oklahoma is at the grocery store. I love buying frozen salmon, but I also love canned salmon.
Canned salmon is an inexpensive way to serve salmon.
One of my favorite ways to use canned salmon is in these salmon burgers.
What are salmon burgers?
Salmon burgers are a like a hamburger, but made with salmon and a few other ingredients.
They are similar to tuna burgers. They contain salmon and usually eggs, breadcrumbs, and seasoning.
Are they gluten free?
Most are not gluten free, but they are easy to make gluten free by using gluten free breadcrumbs and by reading labels to be sure your ingredients are gluten free.
You also need to serve them on gluten free buns or eat them without the buns. Our family usually eats them without the buns.
Need more salmon recipes?
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) salmon, drained, skin and bones removed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs ( use gluten-free bread crumbs for gluten-free version)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion ( optional )
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 hamburger buns or rolls or serve them bunless
- Lettuce leaves (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients.
- Shape into four patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties in butter or oil over medium heat, for 5-6 minutes on each side or until browned. ( If you use a regular pan instead of a nonstick one you will need a tablespoon or two of oil for the pan. )
- Serve on hamburger buns or rolls with toppings of your choice.
Pouches of salmon can also be used instead of canned salmon.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 703mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 11g
Originally posted May 2008. Updated February 2021.