Gluten free chocolate banana cookies are a great way to use up those overripe bananas that you have on your counter.
These cookies combine the classic combination of bananas and chocolate into a delicious gluten free cookie that is so good no one will know that it is gluten free.
These gluten free chocolate banana cookies are adapted from Martha Stewart’s Chocolate Banana Cookies.
I made chocolate banana cookies all time before going gluten free, so it was a recipe I knew that I had to convert to gluten free.
For this recipe you can use a gluten free blend. Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 blend works great. So does King Arthur’s Gluten Free blend. However, I think that you get the best results when you use individual flours.
Sometimes a blend works fine in gluten free cookies, but sometimes the individual gluten free flours give you a better cookie. In this recipe the rice flour, sweet rice flour, and cornstarch give you a better result than using a premade blend.
More Gluten Free Banana Recipes
- Gluten Free Chocolate Banana Bread
- Gluten Free Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Gluten Free Banana Bars
- Gluten Free Banana Pancake Muffins
- 1 cup white rice flour
- ¼ cup sweet rice flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup mashed bananas
- 1 cup old fashioned gluten free oats ( Be sure to use gluten free oats)
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375. Whisk together rice flours, cornstarch, xanthan gum, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Place butter in a mixing bowl. Add sugars and cream until light and fluffy. This takes about 3 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Mix in banana.
- Add flour mixture just until combined.
- Stir in oatmeal and chocolate chips.
- Drop dough onto a cookie sheet, spacing about 2 inches a part.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and place on cooking rack to cool.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 151Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 111mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g
Originally posted January 2012. Updated March 2021.