A few weeks ago my oldest daughter decided she wanted to bake something. She had gone through the Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes cookbook and saw a recipe that she wanted to make.
I decided that it would be a good time to teach her some of the basics of converting a recipe to be gluten free. I also warned her that they may or may not turn out. Although she already knew that because we have lots of disasters around here as we try to convert recipes. Some work, some are okay, and some are just plain awful.
We talked about the flours to use in place of all purpose flour and we talked about whether or not we needed to use xanthan gum. I have found that most muffins and cupcake recipes do not need it, so we left it out in this one. Once we decided on all that, she set about to make these cupcakes gluten free. And she did great!
The muffins turned out delicious. They remind me of a really good spice cake, but in a cupcake form. The frosting on these was really good and I think would be great on a carrot cake or other type cake as well.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 /2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1` cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 18 muffin cups with liners.
- In a small bowl combine rice flour, sweet rice flour, cornstarch, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cloves. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter, white sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Mix in applesauce and then flour mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Divide batter between muffin cups.
- Bake for 17-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- With a mixer combine butter, brown sugar, and powdered sugar.
- Mix for several minutes or until the texture frosting should be.
- Frost cupcakes and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 382mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 1gSugar: 32gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.