I recently made a gluten free version of one of my favorite desserts and knew I had to share it with you. This is a dessert I made many times before going gluten free and I can’t believe it took me so long to make it gluten free.
You may have noticed that I have a lot of favorite desserts. I don’t have a problem admitting that I do indeed love desserts. I love make them and I love to eat them. I especially love them when chocolate is involved!
Now I will also admit that these brownies are a treat. A totally unhealthy, but utterly delicious gluten free treat. These are rich, so you can easily cut them small. And these are one of those desserts that no one would know was gluten free, so they are perfect to serve guests or take to a potluck type dinner.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cookie Dough Layer
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup gluten free mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup gluten free chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening or coconut oil
For the brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl combine rice flour, potato starch, cornstarch, xanthan gum, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla and beat until well blended.
- Slowly add flour mixture to egg mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Spread into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 26-28 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
For the Cookie Dough Layer:
- Cream butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in milk and vanilla.
- In another bowl combine rice flour, potato starch, cornstarch slowly add to creamed mixture. Mix until combined.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Spread cookie dough layer over cooled brownies.
For Chocolate Glaze:
- In a microwave melt chocolate and shortening on 50% power, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Spread over cookie dough layer. Let brownies set until firm. You can refrigerate these to firm them up more quickly.
- Cut into bars and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 123mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 2gSugar: 38gProtein: 4g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.