Homemade Tootsie Rolls anyone?!
My goal with this series is to create recipes for everyone. Some will be less expensive than the store bought version. Some will be healthier. And some, like today’s, will be just plain fun.
My recipe for homemade tootsie rolls is one that is actually featured in my Cooking 101 for kids ebook, but I knew I also needed to share it for my homemade series. I mean really, what can be more fun than homemade tootsie rolls?!
I am the first to admit these are probably not less expensive than the originals, especially if you buy them on sale or in a large package. And I can easily say these are not healthy, but seriously these are so much fun to make.
My kids love them.
We also call these chocolate play dough because the dough is fun to play with. My kids loved making letters, shapes, and spelling their names with these.
I think these would be so much fun for a kids party, or play day, because it would be so much fun for kids to play with this and then eat it.
Now for the recipe. Plan ahead for this one, because the dough does need to sit before using.
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- ½ cup corn syrup
- ¾ teaspoon warm water
- ¼ teaspoon orange extract (Not necessary, but does add that extra depth of flavor, that makes it more like the original.)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Line a 9x13 pan with plastic wrap
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave at 50% power and stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Stir well. This will be thick and almost dough-like.
- Press into the 9x13 pan that has been lined with plastic wrap. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let sit overnight. The dough needs time to set up and firm up so do not skip the step of sitting overnight.
- The next day remove pieces of the dough and roll into small logs or pieces.
- My kids like to play with this like play dough and the fun is that it is edible. It does get soft quickly though as you play with it and roll it around.
If you are gluten-free read labels to make sure your ingredients are gluten-free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 12mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 36gProtein: 1g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.