Layered Chicken Taco Salad is an easy and delicious way to serve taco salad. It is perfect for feeding a crowd!
Taco salad is a great meal to serve anytime of year, but since it does not require the oven it is especially nice during the hot summer months.
There are many versions of taco salad and many ways to change it up. Today I am sharing a version that I recently made for my husband’s office lunch meeting.
This taco salad contains the basic ingredients. Meat, beans, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and toppings, but I changed up how I serve it.
I layered it in a 9×13 casserole type pan and it might forever change the way I serve taco salad. Or at least it will change the way I serve taco salad to a crowd or take to a potluck.
I have served taco salad layered in a large bowl or trifle dish. It works great that. But it can be hard to get all the way to the bottom of the bowl.
Often times when taco salad is layered in a bowl, you get a lot of one layer and not so much of another. Layering it in a 9×13 type pan changes that.
It is all the same layers, but served in shallow pan to make serving easier. This allows you to get the right amount of each layer. It was a simple change that made a big difference.
My version uses cooked chicken and black beans, but you could easily use a different kind of meat or a different kind of beans.
You can serve it as is or with tortillas or tortilla chips. No matter how you serve it, it makes taco salad for a large group so easy and delicious.
- 4-6 cups chopped or shredded lettuce
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- guacamole or avocado if desired
- ¾ cup catalina dressing
- ¾ cup salsa, mild, medium, or hot depending on how spicy you want it.
- Tortilla chips, sour cream, additional salsa for serving.
- In a 9x13 pan or casserole type dish layer lettuce, shredded cooked chicken, beans, cheese, tomatoes, (and guacamole if using.)
- In a small bowl combine catalina and salsa. Pour over salad. Or serve dressing on the side for everyone to put on their salad.
- Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, additional salsa, etc.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 935mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 10gSugar: 10gProtein: 30g