Some of you may know these as magic bars or magic cookie bars. I grew up calling them seven layer bars.
It doesn’t matter if you call them magic bars or seven layers bars, they are delicious either way. I mean really how can you go wrong with all those layers of chocolate and deliciousness?!
My family rarely made magic bars the same way. We called them seven layer bars, but rarely did they have exactly seven layers.
The beauty of these bars is that you can use whatever you have on hand. More or less chocolate. Butterscotch or white chocolate chips or maybe both. Nuts or no nuts. The options for the layers of magic bars are endless.
Traditional magic bars have a graham cracker layer for the crust, but these magic cookie bars today are a little different in that they use oats for the crust. I first got the idea for an oatmeal based crust from Shirley of Gluten Free Easily. And I loved the idea.
Gluten free oats are almost always something I have on hand, gluten free graham crackers are not. So, I loved the idea of an oat based crust.
Even if you are not gluten free though, the oatmeal for the crust in these is delicious. If you prefer graham crackers though, the traditional graham cracker layer will work fine.
And not only did I change up the crust, I added pumpkin to my magic bars. Yes, pumpkin and it is delicious and perfect for fall. My family may just have eaten the whole pan in one day. Yes, they were that good.
Magic Oatmeal Pumpkin Bars
- 2 cups old fashioned oats ( I used gluten free oats)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a bowl mix together oats, sugar, and butter.
- Press into a 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle on coconut, half of the chocolate chips, and all the white chocolate chips.
- In a bowl whisk together pumpkin and sweetened condensed milk. Pour over coconut/chips layer.
- Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into bars.