Tuna Soup is an easy inexpensive soup perfect for any time of year.
Have you noticed the rising prices at the grocery store? I have noticed it over the last few months, but last week when I went shopping I noticed a big jump in the prices of a lot of things.
I think a lot of us are going to reach more and more for easy inexpensive meals over the next year.
This week’s recipe for Souper Monday is a great example of a simple lunch or dinner that uses basic ingredients that you probably have on hand. It is an easy and delicious meal that won’t break your grocery budget.
I debated on whether or not to call this tuna soup or tuna chowder. It has dairy in it, so it is more of a chowder, but I knew that some in my family would probably like it better if I called it soup, so I went with tuna soup. If you prefer to call it tuna chowder go right ahead.
I love clam chowder and I love salmon chowder. They are my favorite things to eat when I visit my family in Oregon. I have made both at home many times, but clams and salmon can be a bit expensive. Canned tuna on the other hand is a much cheaper option and it works great in this soup.
You could easily use canned salmon in this recipe in place of the tuna if you prefer salmon or have canned salmon on hand.
Is chowder gluten free?
The answer to whether or not chowder is gluten free depends. Many chowders like clam chowder are not gluten free because they use flour to thicken them.
We have two favorite restaurants that we love to visit when we go to Oregon on vacation. One restaurant has gluten free clam chowder and one does not. You can’t assume clam chowder or any chowder is gluten free.
When you make it at home you can control the ingredients. This tuna chowder recipe that I am sharing is gluten free. It is an easy, delicious, and inexpensive gluten free meal.
- chicken broth
- half and half, optional but good
- canned tuna
- frozen corn
Need More Gluten Free Soups and Chili?
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small or 1/2 a large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 - 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- 2 or 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half and half ( or you can use milk but it will be richer with half and half )
- 2 - 5 ounce cans tuna, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Heat oil and butter in a pot.
- Add onion and cook over medium low heat until onion is tender and lightly browned.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add salt, pepper, broth, and potatoes.
- Bring to a light boil.
- Cook, stirring often until potatoes are tender. About 12 minutes.
- Once potatoes are tender stir in milk, half and half, tuna, and corn.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes or until corn is tender and soup is completely heated
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 1033mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 9g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.