Neiman Marcus Bars, also known as Gooey Butter Cake, are rich and delicious. They are the perfect amount of chocolate and cream cheese mixed together in a simple to make dessert.
This recipe came from a friend years ago when my husband was in college. She brought these to several gatherings and everyone loved them.
Once I tried them I knew I had to get the recipe. They were so good.
These are rich and delicious. I don’t make them very often because I eat way too many when I do.
Last week I made these to send to work with my husband. I made one pan for him to take and one pan for us to eat. I really shouldn’t have made a pan for us because I ate more than I care to admit. 🙂 They are that good.
This recipe is similar to what Paula Deen calls Gooey Butter Cake. I got this recipe about twenty years ago and that was long before Paula Deen was popular, but they are basically the same.
Paula Deen’s recipe has more butter in it and is cooked at a different temperature. I have tried Paula Deen’s version and I actually like this version better. I think the texture is better on the Neiman Marcus Bars.
I like these best with a chocolate cake mix, but you can use a yellow, butter pecan, or any other kind you like. I like to put pecans in it if I use a yellow cake mix. But I prefer the chocolate without the nuts.
These are also best when completely cooled. I think they are actually best the next day because the cream cheese layer has set up better. But either way they are really good.
Note about making these gluten free. I shared this recipe long before I was gluten free. I have tried these with a gluten free cake mix, and they are good, but not great. They are one of those desserts that I have yet to perfect gluten free
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 8 ounce cream cheese softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cups pecans, chopped (optional)
- For Crust: Combine 1 egg and ½ cup butter and beat well.
- Add cake mix and mix until well combined.
- Press into greased 9x13 pan.
- For Filling: In a bowl combine cream cheese and 3 eggs. Beat until combined well.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix together well and spread over cake mix layer.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until center is set. You do not want to over bake these.
- Cool completely and cut into squares.