Dealing with food allergies can be challenging. Actually it is challenging. I think snacks are the hardest.
A couple of months ago I shared my homemade nut free larabar like snack. We love them and I make them several times a month.
I recently adapted them into a nut free larbar bite like snack that we also love. My son actually loves the bits even more. He told me last weekend that I should make them at least twice a week.
I love hearing that from him because these are a snack that is pretty healthy and filling for a teen boy. I don’t mind making them for him at all.
The main reason I make these is because my daughter has a nut allergy and we can’t have the real ones. I use Sunbutter when I make them. However, if you can have nuts or peanuts feel free to make them using peanut butter or another nut butter. I am sure they would be even better with the real thing.
Tools that make this recipe easier.
- My Favorite Sheet Pan
- Food Processor
Nut Free Larabar Bites Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 3/4 cup Sunbutter (Or other nut like butter)
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup coconut, unsweetened or sweetened both work (This is optional. Sometimes I leave it out.)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Place dates, Sunbutter, cherries, coconut, and baking cocoa in a food processor.
- Process until mixture is chopped well. It should all be chopped up, yet form a soft mixture that balls up. Add chocolate chips and pulse a few times just enough to chop and mix in. If your food processor is small you may need to do this in two batches.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop 1 -2 tablespoons of mixing, onto cookie sheet or sheet pan. Roll into balls.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- These do not have to be kept in the refrigerator, but I have found that they have a better texture long term if you do. I have kept them in the fridge for two weeks and they have been fine.