Several years ago Martha Stewart’s Everyday Foods had a recipe for oven risotto. I have made it many times and I really like it for a side dish. It is really good for how easy it is.
I recently was looking at the Martha Stewart website and they had a recipe for a regular risotto with tomatoes and sausage. I thought why not combine the two recipes and make a main dish oven risotto with sausage and tomatoes.
I tweaked the recipe and came up with a really good risotto that you can use as a main dish.
I hope you enjoy it.
Oven Risotto With Sausage and Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional, I use chicken broth)
- 2 to 2 1/4 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup homemade or low sodium canned chicken stock
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound of sausage browned
- 1 14 ounce can tomatoes, drained
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In an ovenproof saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring to coat the grains with oil, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the wine and cook until it has completely evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups water, the stock, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and add sausage and tomatoes.
- Cover, transfer to the oven, and bake, until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Stir in 1/2 to 3/4 cup water (the consistency of the risotto should be creamy), the butter, cheese, and parsley.
- Serve immediately.