I have a large basil plant growing in my garden. Having fresh herbs is great. This year I only have basil but it is doing so good it is making up for not having any other herbs.
One of the things I like to use my basil in, is pesto. We love pesto. It is so easy to make and it so flavorful. Most pesto recipes call for pine nuts. I like mine with walnuts though. I just like the flavor better. I also usually have some walnuts in the freezer, pine nuts are not something I keep on hand. I use my food processor to make this but I think a blender would work also. Last night I added some leftover cooked chicken that I had.
So here is the pesto version we like.
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces of spaghetti or angel hair pasta, cooked or gluten free pasta for gf pasta.
- Place basil, walnuts, parmesan cheese, and garlic in a food processor.
- Chop until pretty fine. It should be like a paste.
- Slowly pour in oil.
- Mix in processor until combined.
- Stir into hot, cooked pasta. This also makes a great sauce for a chicken pesto pizza.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.