The flavors of pizza are turned into an easy to make casserole with this Pop Up Pizza Pie recipe.
I first shared this recipe back in March 2009. That was less than a year after I began this site. My adult kids were little and it was before I started eating gluten free.
This recipe is one of my kid’s favorites. Back in 2009, my son, who is now a six foot-seven-inch college student, loved this pop up pizza. He would get so excited when it was on the menu plan.
I made it a few weeks ago when he was home for dinner and fourteen years later he still loves it.
I am pretty sure he would still eat this once a week if I made it for him.
It is like an upside down pizza. The filling is on the bottom and the crust is on the top.
Instead of a yeast bread or a biscuit like crust, it is more of a pop over type of crust.
It is so good! It is a recipe I have now been making for over twenty years.
If you have little kids, or even big kids, this is a fun way to change up pizza night.
It is also a quick and easy way to serve pizza any night of the week.
After I went gluten free I came up with a gluten free version of this recipe. You can use a gluten free flour blend in place of the flour in this recipe, but I prefer the individual flours like I use in my Gluten Free Pop Up Pizza Casserole recipe.
- ground beef
- green pepper
- spaghetti sauce, jar or homemade
- mozzarella cheese
- other pizza like ingredients that you like
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce (jar or homemade)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brown ground beef with onion and pepper.
- Add spaghetti sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine milk, oil, and eggs.
- Beat one minute on medium speed. Add flour and salt to egg mixture and beat for two minutes or until smooth.
- Spread meat mixture into a 9x13 pan. Top with cheese.
- Carefully pour batter over cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
A gluten free flour blend can be used in place of regular flour.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 375Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 652mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 26g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Originally posted in March 2009. Updated in February 2023.