This is based on a recipe that my sister and I learned to make in the cooking class we took. It was my favorite dish that we made. I think it was also one of my sister’s favorite. Not only was it good, but it was easy.
Right now we have a lot of ripe tomatoes in our garden, especially cherry and grape tomatoes. I decided that this dish would be a good way to some of them up. I did adapt it for my families tastes and for what I had on hand. But it is the same basic idea as the one we made in class.
This recipe calls for balsamic vinegar. One thing I have learned with the balsamic vinegar is don’t buy the cheapest bottle. Now, I know some people spend as much on a bottle of balsamic vinegar as they would wine. I am not saying that. I bought mine at my local grocery store. But, I did not buy the in-store or cheapest brand. I have done that in the past and I could tell the difference in my dressing or salad recipe. So, I buy the most expensive bottle that my local grocery store had. It was about four dollars for seventeen ounces. So, not expensive, but not the cheapest.
I think this makes a great frugal summer meal. I served it as a main dish with my focaccia bread and my family all loved it. This would also use be good as a side dish when serving steak or chicken.
You need to make the tomatoes and dressing part ahead of time, so be sure to plan for that.
Pasta with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese
A simple side dish or main dish for summer or any time of year.
- 12 ounce of shell shaped pasta or gluten free pasta for gluten free version
- 1 lb of cherry tomatoes, about 3 1/2 to 4 cups, I used yellow and red because that is what I had
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Cut tomatoes in half and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix balsamic vinegar, oil, and garlic.
- Add tomatoes and toss together. Let sit for about 1 hour. This will let some of the juice come out of the tomatoes and also allow them to soak up the dressing.
- Cook pasta and drain.
- While pasta is still warm add to tomatoes.
- Add the feta cheese, and chopped herbs and mix well. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 123mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
looks simple AND delicious!
looks and sounds delicious
Just made tonight….so delish! Definitely a keeper!
We make something very similar to this (https://www.vanderbiltwife.com/2008/06/summer-pasta-lovin/) with mozzarella, but feta sounds EVEN BETTER. I <3 feta.