This is based on a recipe that my sister and I learned to make in the cooking class we took. It was my favorite dish that we made. I think it was also one of my sister’s favorite. Not only was it good, but it was easy.
Right now we have a lot of ripe tomatoes in our garden, especially cherry and grape tomatoes. I decided that this dish would be a good way to some of them up. I did adapt it for my families tastes and for what I had on hand. But it is the same basic idea as the one we made in class.
This recipe calls for balsamic vinegar. One thing I have learned with the balsamic vinegar is don’t buy the cheapest bottle. Now, I know some people spend as much on a bottle of balsamic vinegar as they would wine. I am not saying that. I bought mine at my local grocery store. But, I did not buy the in-store or cheapest brand. I have done that in the past and I could tell the difference in my dressing or salad recipe. So, I buy the most expensive bottle that my local grocery store had. It was about four dollars for seventeen ounces. So, not expensive, but not the cheapest.
I think this makes a great frugal summer meal. I served it as a main dish with my focaccia bread and my family all loved it. This would also use be good as a side dish when serving steak or chicken.
You need to make the tomatoes and dressing part ahead of time, so be sure to plan for that.
- 12 ounce of shell shaped pasta or gluten free pasta for gluten free version
- 1 lb of cherry tomatoes, about 3 1/2 to 4 cups, I used yellow and red because that is what I had
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Cut tomatoes in half and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix balsamic vinegar, oil, and garlic.
- Add tomatoes and toss together. Let sit for about 1 hour. This will let some of the juice come out of the tomatoes and also allow them to soak up the dressing.
- Cook pasta and drain.
- While pasta is still warm add to tomatoes.
- Add the feta cheese, and chopped herbs and mix well. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 123mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 8g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.