So, let’s just get to this recipe for Skillet Tamale Pie.
This is quick, easy, and delicious. And it won’t break the budget to make. Serve it with a salad on the side and you have an easy and delicious meal that your whole family will love.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 package of taco seasoning see note below for homemade taco seasoning
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- In a large deep ovenproof skillet brown ground beef with onion until beef is done and onion is tender.
- Add taco seasoning, black beans, and tomatoes to meat. Stir well to combine.Set aside.
- In a bowl combine cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Whisk in buttermilk, 1/4 cup oil, and eggs until combined.
- Spread batter over meat mixture in skillet.
- Bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes or until cornbread tests done.
If you do not have an oven-proof skillet or one that is large enough, cook the meat part on the stove and then place it in a casserole dish for the oven.
This is my favorite recipe for homemade taco seasoning.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 479Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 914mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 26g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.