Homemade Sloppy Joes are a quick and easy recipe that everyone loves!
Sloppy Joes are one of those great, quick, and easy comfort food type recipes.
For a long time I stayed away from making them because my impression of them was the kind that I had seen so many people make. You know the version that is just opening the famous can, heating it, and serving it over a bun.
I had no desire to eat or make anything like that famous canned version. If you love that famous kind from a can I apologize. But if you love it, please try the homemade kind. The homemade version has so much flavor.
When I finally gave in years ago and decided to give homemade sloppy joes a try I realized that I loved them.
Once I tried the homemade version I was wondering what took me so long? I wish I had tried them long before I did. Homemade sloppy joes tasted nothing like the canned version, they were so much better.
Not only are sloppy joes really easy and tasty, they make a perfect freezer meal. I usually double or triple my recipe and freeze it in zip top type bags.
Then when I am ready to serve it, all I have to do is defrost, heat, and serve it over a bun.
We also like to eat this over potatoes. This enables me to serve the same meal twice, without it being exactly the same.
Do you like sloppy joes? If so what is your favorite kind to eat canned or homemade?
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 - 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- a few dashes of hot pepper sauce
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- hamburger buns
- Brown ground beef with onion until onion is tender and beef is no longer pink.
- Add garlic and cook for approximately one more minute.
- Drain off any fat.
- Add remaining ingredients (except buns)and stir well.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over buns and enjoy.