I love meals like this beef and broccoli because they are basically a meal in one. The main part has meat and a vegetable in it, so all you have to do is add rice and you have a complete meal.
Slow cooked beef and broccoli is a meal I have seen in several cookbooks and on websites, but none of the recipes were quite what I wanted. So, I ended up tweaking things, and combining several ideas, into a dinner my family really enjoyed.
The one thing I will warn you about this recipe is that although it is really good, and my family loved it, it is not like broccoli beef that you might eat at a restaurant. It is similar, but not the same.
Meat cooked in the crock pot all day is going to have a totally different texture than meat cooked quickly at a high heat would have. So just think of this as a good dinner, not as a copy cat meal of your favorite broccoli beef.
This is also one of those meals that you can also vary the meat. We buy half a beef each year, so I just used some meat I had in the freezer, but I think this would work with many different cuts of roast or cheaper steak. The only difference would be a slightly different texture in the end result.
Slow Cooked Beef and Broccoli
- 1 1/2 pounds roast, round steak, or other similar cut of meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch or so pieces
- 1 cup beef broth or 1 cup water and beef bullion
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 tablespoons water
- broccoli florets, washed and cut into desired sized pieces
- Place beef in slow cooker.
- In a bowl mix together broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and rice vinegar. Pour over meat.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving combine water and cornstarch. Mix until smooth and stir into the meat mixture in the slow cooker.
- Stir broccoli into slow cooker. Cook on low for 30 minutes or until broccoli reaches desired doneness and sauce has thickened slightly. (Be careful not to cook the broccoli for too long, it quickly goes from not done to over done. It took right at 30 minutes in my slow cooker.)
- Serve over rice.