We loved this soup. This is my gluten free meltdown soup, I did not want it to be forever known as that, so I am just calling it Chicken Tortilla Soup. It is basically a Mexican type taco soup. There are many variations of soups like this, but I really did come up with this by just finding things that I had, that were gluten free.
I came up with this because I needed a gluten free meal, however, this soup is really good and it can be enjoyed by anyone. You will definitely see this soup on our menu again. We all enjoyed it.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 28 ounces of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup salsa, I used medium but use the kind you like
- 1 (4 ounce) can of green chilies
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of water
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained ( or cook your own beans, I cook a bunch up and keep in the freezer)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 8 corn tortillas
- couple of tablespoons of oil
- cheese and sour cream for serving
- Combine the first 11 ingredients in a crockpot.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred meat.
- Return meat to crockpot and add frozen corn.
- Cook for another 30 minutes.
- During the last 20 minutes of the soup cooking, brush tortillas with oil.
- Cut into strips, spread on a cookie sheet or pan and bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, stirring once or twice during cooking.
- Serve soup with tortillas strips, cheese, and sour cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 541mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 20g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.