Homemade pudding is the perfect holiday treat. And I have another easy homemade pudding for you today.
If you need a last minute holiday dessert idea you can easily make up a few different flavors of homemade pudding and serve them for a holiday dessert buffet. You could make homemade vanilla pudding, homemade chocolate pudding, homemade butterscotch pudding, homemade white chocolate pudding, and/or this homemade coconut pudding.
The great thing about homemade pudding is that it can be made a day or two ahead of time, which will save you time the day you need to serve it.
I also love homemade puddings because they are an easy and naturally gluten free dessert.
If you have not tried making homemade pudding before, you really should give it a try. And I did a how to make homemade pudding video a while ago that some of you might find helpful.
Homemade Coconut Pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon rum extract, optional but good
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- In a large saucepan combine milk, cream, cornstarch, salt, eggs, and sugar. Cook over medium hight heat, whisking constantly, until thickened. This will take 3-5 minutes.
- Once thickened remove from heat and stir in rum extract.
- Strain pudding through a fine mesh strainer to remove any lumps.
- Fold in coconut. And cover with plastic wrap placed tightly over the pudding. This will keep a skin from forming as the pudding cools.
- This can be served warm or cold.
- Serve and enjoy!