Beef Enchilada soup is an easy dinner your family is sure to love! It can be made in the crock pot or on the stove top.
I first shared this beef enchilada soup back in 2011 as part of my ground beef series.
Do you remember that series? Long time readers might. It was a series where I shared ground beef recipes every Thursday.
Ground Beef Favorites
Today I am resharing a recipe from that series. It is my ground beef enchilada soup.
I recently made a crock pot full of this soup. We ate it for dinner and I took a container full of it to a family member.
This is one of my favorite soups to make this time of year.
I have taken this soup to church dinners and potlucks. I have served it to the company. I have made it as a meal to give to a friend.
I have been making this soup for over ten years. Probably closer to twenty years. If I know you in real life you have probably eaten this soup.
I love this soup because it contains basic ingredients that I almost always have on hand and it can be made on the stove top or in a slow cooker.
What is enchilada soup?
Enchilada soup is like taco soup but different. Instead of just diced tomatoes and taco seasoning in the soup, it contains enchilada sauce. The enchilada sauce gives it a slightly different flavor than taco soup.
It is also similar to chicken enchilada soup, but beef enchilada soup has no dairy in it unless you add cheese or sour cream when serving.
Is Enchilada Soup gluten free?
Not all enchilada soup is gluten free, but as long as you read labels to make sure that items like the enchilada sauce are gluten free, it will be gluten free.
If you make this on the stove top you can easily have this soup on the table in about 30 minutes. And this soup contains ingredients that most of us already have in our pantry.
There is nothing fancy about this meal, but it is a hearty bowl of soup that your whole family will love.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (10-ounce) cans enchilada sauce
- 2 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- In a large pan, cook ground beef and onion over medium-high heat until beef is browned and crumbly. Drain grease off.
- Add tomato sauce, enchilada sauce, beans, corn, tomatoes, cumin, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- If making in the slow cooker cook beef and onion, drain off grease and place in slow cooker along with remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Serve with sour cream and shredded cheese, if desired.
If you are gluten free be sure to use gluten free enchilada sauce or make homemade enchilada sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 691mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 9gSugar: 4gProtein: 23g
Originally posted January 2011. Updated October 2020.