Who doesn’t love a good pie?!
This Coconut Cream Pie with Meringue Topping is so good! And it is really pretty easy to make.
Yield: 12 servings
Coconut Cream Pie with Meringue Topping
An old fashioned creamy coconut pie.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Additional Time 3 hours
Total Time 3 hours 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, save the whites for the meringue- Eggs at room temperature work best for this and for meringue
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1- 9 inch pie crust baked- homemade pie crust, store bought, or gluten free pie crust see note below.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut
- Place eggs in a small bowl and beat. Set aside.
- In a pan combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, and milk. Whisk over medium high heat for about 3- 4 minutes or until thickened.
- Turn heat to low and add 1 cup of hot mixture to the eggs. Stir well. You are tempering the eggs here.
- Add egg mixture to the pan and whisk over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter.
- I like to then put mine through a strainer to remove any lumps.
- Pour into baked pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a bowl beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over filling and sprinkle coconut on top. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the meringue is lightly brown. ( I over cooked the one in the picture a little bit, so watch yours)
- Let cool and refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving. This is best served the day it is made.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 294mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 6g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Adapted from Taste of Home
I add a teaspoon of coconut flavoring along with the vanilla for a more intense coconut flavor, but I also add a whole cup of coconut to my pie. It is yummy-licious.
I am with you, I love coconut and the exact would add be a great addition. Some in my family though don’t love coconut, they will eat it and enjoy a little bit of it, but not too much so I tend to avoid extra coconut. But for those that love coconut the extract and extra coconut is a great idea!