My husband and girls love spinach, my son and I, not so much. I like it in things, but not usually as a side dish. One way I do like spinach though is creamed spinach. I mean who doesn’t like it when you add so much unhealthy stuff to it that you can’t taste the spinach.
This really is my favorite way to eat spinach. However, since it is not exactly a low calorie dish, I will not serve it often, but for a once in awhile treat, this is a very good way to eat spinach.
This is also a good way to get kids to try spinach. Many kids don’t even like the idea of spinach, but they would probably be willing to give this a try and once they try it, they may actually decide they like spinach.
Do you like spinach?
An old fashioned creamed spinach recipe that makes spinach delicious.
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1/2 of an onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 lb of fresh spinach
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of 1/2 and 1/2
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Cook onion in oil until tender and set aside.
- Place spinach in a large pot with 1/2 cup of water.
- Cover and cook on med-high for about 7 minutes or until wilted and cooked, stirring once or twice while it is cooking.
- Once cooked, drain. Add cream cheese, 1/2 and 1/2, and salt. Stir until well mixed and cream cheese has melted. Stir in mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 25 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 481mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
That looks delicious!!
This does look delicious!! Do you think you could use canned spinach in this and if yes, how would you do it?
@Julie Anne, I don’t think I would use canned spinach, but I think frozen spinach would work great for this.
I adore spinach, and this looks like a heavenly way to enjoy it!