This week’s recipe for my Year of Martha Stewart Cooking Challenge is for Martha Stewart’s Creamy Lemon Squares.
This is a recipe that I have been making for years. Today I am sharing both the regular and the gluten-free versions.
Martha Stewart’s Creamy Lemon Squares
This recipe for Martha Stewart’s Creamy Lemon Squares comes from the June 2008 edition of Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food.
This is a recipe that I really have been making for years. This is a recipe that I made before going gluten-free and that I have now adapted to gluten-free.
Today I am sharing both the regular version and how I make them gluten-free.
If you love lemons or lemon bars these are a must make!
Lemon desserts are some of my favorite. If I can’t have chocolate, I will almost always choose lemon.
My mom’s lemon bars are a classic lemon bar that she has been making for over forty years.
I love my mom’s lemon bars, but I also love this version for Martha Stewart’s Creamy Lemon Bars. In typical Martha style, she takes a classic recipe and makes it a little fancier.
In Martha Stewart’s Lemon Squares she takes a lemon bar recipe and makes it richer and creamier. It almost makes them custard like.
I have sent these several times to my husband’s office for staff meetings and birthdays and everyone loves them.
- powdered sugar
- all purpose flour or Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour blend
- sweetened condensed milk
- lemon juice
What Martha Stewart recipe should I try next?
Do you have a favorite Martha recipe that I need to try? Or do you have a favorite that I should adapt to gluten free?
- ½ cup, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free blend for gf version
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 can (14-ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides; butter paper. This makes the bars come out of the pan easier, but it is not necessary.
- Cream butter, confectioners’ sugar, and salt until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low.
- Add flour, and mix just until combined.
- Press dough into the bottom and ½ inch up sides of prepared pan. Prick all over the bottom with a fork.
- Bake until lightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Whisk together egg yolks, condensed milk, and lemon juice.
- Pour over hot crust and bake until filling is set, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan.
- Cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar for serving.
I tested this recipe with Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten-free flour blend. Other gluten-free blends may work, but they have not been tested.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 98Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 4g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Originally posted August 10, 2010. Updated August 10, 2021.