These dark chocolate cherry breakfast muffins are a creation of my 14 year old. She loves recreating my basic recipes to give them her own twist. These breakfast muffins are one of her recent creations.
I love the fact that she now feels comfortable enough in the kitchen to experiment. I don’t think it will be long before she is creating all kinds of recipes of her own. Teaching your kids to cook is well worth the time and effort.
When she was making these muffins she decided to make a large batch so that we could freeze some for easy breakfasts. This recipe makes about 24 muffins, so if you want a smaller batch just half the recipe.
And if you don’t like dried cherries, or don’t have any, these would easily work with raisins, craisins, or just about any other dried fruit.
Dark Chocolate Cherry Breakfast Muffins
Makes about 24 muffins
- 6 cups quick cooking oats ( I use gluten free quick oats)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups dried cherries
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Line muffin tin with muffin cups or grease well.
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients together, but the cherries and chocolate chips.
- Mix well and then stir in dried cherries and chocolate chips.
- Scoop into muffin pan filling each cup 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes.