Today’s recipe for my Cooking Through My Collection series is a simple skillet cookie. I almost didn’t share this recipe because it is so basic, but it was so good that I knew I had to share it.
This is a pretty basic cookie recipe. The trick is though how you cook it. You cook this in a cast iron pan.
I have talked about cast iron pans many times over the years. I love them and use them all the time. I had never thought to use them for a skillet cookie though until recently when I saw a recipe for one in my Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook. (Affiliate Link)
As soon as I saw the recipe I knew I had to try it. I have made many skillet cookies over the years, but I knew I wanted to try it in a cast iron pan.
It was delicious!
The cast iron skillet gave this a great texture. Slightly crispy on the outside, but soft and gooey in the inside.
Because this cooks in a cast iron skillet it stays warm for quite awhile. I found that it cut best and had the best texture several hours after it baked. Yes, you can eat it right away, but I think it is best once it has cooled slightly.
I totally would have served this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if I had any on hand the day I made it. I did not have any in the freezer and since I live in the country, the closest store is not right down the street, so I could not quickly run out and get some. It was great on it’s own, but everything is better with a scoop of ice cream.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour ( I used Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten-free flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips, M&M's, etc.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl cream together sugars and butter.
- Add in vanilla and mix well.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add in flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips or M&M's if using.
- Spread batter into a 10 inch cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before cutting.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 493Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 425mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 3gSugar: 42gProtein: 5g