This week’s cake for my Martha Stewart Cakes the gluten free way series is perfect for the holidays.
It is an old fashioned type cake, made gluten free.
I pretty much followed the directions on this, except I used gluten free flours. The original recipe called for fresh grated nutmeg. I did not have fresh nutmeg and several in my family don’t like nutmeg, so I left it out.
I has also originally planned to use sorghum flour in this, but I realized that I forgot to buy any, so I made this with rice flour. I think next time I make it, I will try it with some sorghum added in place of the rice flour. It is delicious this way though and turned out really good, so I might not mess with the recipe.
This is a fun and delicious cake for the holidays. And really it would work for breakfast, lunch, snacks, or dessert. This is one of those breads that works anytime.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan.
- Combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in a bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and sugar at medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing each egg until combined.
- Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture and beat just until flour is incorporated.
- Place dough in greased pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Put pan on a wire rack and allow it to cool completely. Run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen and remove from the pan.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.