This week’s cake for my Martha Stewart Cakes the gluten free way series is perfect for the holidays.
It is an old fashioned type cake, made gluten free.
I pretty much followed the directions on this, except I used gluten free flours. The original recipe called for fresh grated nutmeg. I did not have fresh nutmeg and several in my family don’t like nutmeg, so I left it out.
I has also originally planned to use sorghum flour in this, but I realized that I forgot to buy any, so I made this with rice flour. I think next time I make it, I will try it with some sorghum added in place of the rice flour. It is delicious this way though and turned out really good, so I might not mess with the recipe.
This is a fun and delicious cake for the holidays. And really it would work for breakfast, lunch, snacks, or dessert. This is one of those breads that works anytime.
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cake
All the flavors of an old fashioned gingerbread cake in an easy to make gluten free gingerbread cake.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan.
- Combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in a bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and sugar at medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing each egg until combined.
- Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture and beat just until flour is incorporated.
- Place dough in greased pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Put pan on a wire rack and allow it to cool completely. Run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen and remove from the pan.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
[…] Gingerbread Cake with Molasses and Buttermilk from Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures ~ gluten free, vegetarian […]