Lemon, what can I say about lemons, except that I love them. I love just about anything lemon.
Lemon bars bars were one of my favorite desserts as a child. My mom made them regularly and we all loved them. They are a quick, easy, and frugal dessert to make.
I have made my mom’s lemon bars many times for my family. We all enjoyed them and have missed them since going gluten free.
I have been trying to figure out how I could make my mom’s lemon bars gluten free. I knew that the crust would be the tricky part, so instead of tweaking my mom’s crust recipe I used a gluten free shortbread type crust from another dessert. I then used my mom’s basic recipe for the lemon topping.
What I came up with is so good. It is very close to my mom’s regular lemon bars.
I am so excited that I figured this recipe out. Adapting family favorites is what this site is all about. I want to share how I am making gluten free work for my family, and adapting our favorites is a big part of that journey.
I hope that you enjoy this lemon bar recipe.
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons rice flour
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- Combine first five ingredients in a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine ingredients.
- Add butter, pulse until butter is mixed in and the mixture is crumbly.
- Slowly add water and pulse until it forms a dough.
- Press into a 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Beat together until well mixed.
- Pour over warm crust.
- Return to oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Let cool about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cut when they are still slightly warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 118mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 1gSugar: 30gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.