When I first moved to Oklahoma I realized that many people cooked their vegetable way different than I was used to.
I am not sure if it is just a regional thing or not, but many people here cook their vegetables to death. I think it may actually be just an older way to cook them, not so much a regional thing. I know they like them that way and have eaten them that way, but in my opinion there is no reason to cook things like green beans for hours and hours.
Okay, well maybe they don’t cook them for hours, but they definitely cook them much longer than I do. I like my green beans cooked, but I like them to still be green. If I want my green beans cooked for a really long time, I can just buy them in a can.
I know that many of you may not agree with me. You may like your green beans that way, so please forgive me for disagreeing with you. And if you do like them cooked like that just cook them longer than I have suggested in this recipe. I am sure the recipe will still be very good.
Does anyone agree with me? Do you like your green beans cooked for long time or a short time?
Easy Green Beans and Tomatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb frozen green beans
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, I like to use the petite diced for this
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook onion in oil, until onion is tender and slightly browned.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add seasoning salt.
- Add green beans and tomatoes and stir well.
- Cover and cook on medium low, stirring occasionally, until bean reach desired tenderness. For me this is about 10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy.