Cheese, hamburger, and pickles are combined in this easy to make Low Carb Cheeseburger Casserole. And this casserole is delicious even if you are not low carb!
This is a recipe that I adapted from three or four different recipes in order to come up with a version that our family loved.
Our family doesn’t eat low carb, but one of my daughters is trying to eat sugar free, or at least low sugar most of the time.
After another diverticulitis flare, I am watching my grains.
Yes, grains are one of the things that irritate my diverticulitis, so when I had a flare around the holidays, I had to watch how many grains I ate for a few weeks. This casserole was perfect when I had to do that.
This casserole is also great if you are not low carb.
My son loves this as a sandwich-type filling. He eats it on bread or a hamburger bun for more of a sloppy joe-type sandwich.
This meal really does work well for those that eat low carb and those that don’t.
This low carb cheeseburger casserole is gluten free as long as you read labels to make sure that your ingredients are gluten free.
Yes, this freezes well. I would freeze it after cooking the meat and adding all the ingredients, but before putting it in the oven. You can freeze it after cooking and just reheat it after freezing it, but it will work best to freeze it before baking.
- ground beef
- worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup ( low or no sugar for low carb )
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped pickles ( optional, but good )
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet cook ground beef and onion until beef is browned and no longer pink and the onion is tender.
- Drain off any fat.
- Stir in salt, pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, egg, and 3/4 ( or so ) cup cheese.
- Spread into a 9x3 or similar-sized casserole dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with pickles and cheese. Bake 10 - 15 minutes more or until cheese is melted and everything is heated through.
For gluten free version be sure to read labels to make sure that the ingredients are gluten free.
For low carb be sure to use low or no sugar ketchup and make sure the rest of your ingredients are low carb.
If you are not low carb this makes a great sandwich type meal served on bread or bun.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 738mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 38g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.