Serve your eggs the Martha Stewart way with these easy to make Martha Stewart’s Baked Eggs.
This week’s recipe for my Year of Martha Stewart Cooking challenge is for a simple baked egg recipe.
This recipe came from Martha Stewart’s website, not from one of my cookbooks. I have a huge stack of Martha Stewart Cookbooks and magazines, but occasionally I like to just go to her site and search for a recipe.
A few weeks ago I was in the mood for breakfast for dinner, but I wanted something a little different.
I thought about making eggs and soy sauce over rice, but I wanted to change it up a little bit.
After searching Martha Stewart’s website I found her recipe for Baked Eggs, with Bacon, Cheese, and Herbs. I didn’t have the exact ingredients, but I knew that I could make the same basic recipe using the ingredients that I had on hand.
Baked Eggs How-To
Martha’s recipe called for fresh herbs which I didn’t have, so I actually left them off.
Her recipe also called for goat cheese and fontina or Gruyere cheese. I did not have any of those. I had some regular cheddar and some white cheddar cheese though and I knew it would work fine.
In the end I followed her technique more than her actual recipe.
I have made baked eggs before, but Martha Stewart’s recipe for baked eggs is a little different because it has you cooking the eggs in ramekins. You then place the ramekins in a pan full of water and then bake them. This is similar to how you bake custard.
What if you do not have ramekins?
Have you ever what you can use in place of ramekins? I have a whole post answering the question of what to do if you do not have ramekins.
The brief answer is to use little jars or small oven safe glass dishes. They work great.
The ingredients listed are for how I adapted Martha Stewart’s Baked Eggs recipe. We enjoyed the eggs over rice, but they are also delicious plain.
- rice for serving optional
- 4 ounces bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese ( other cheese will work too )
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using butter or oil grease 6 ramekins. Set aside.
- In a pan cook bacon until lightly crisp. This will take about five minutes. Drain on a paper towel to remove grease.
- Divided bacon between ramekins.
- Crack two eggs into each ramekin.
- Place ramekins in an oven proof casserole dish, roaster, or similar type of pan.
- Pour enough water into the pan to reach halfway up the ramekins. Be careful not to get water inside the ramekins.
- Cover pan with foil and bake for about 18 minutes.
- Remove foil from the pan and sprinkle the eggs with cheese.
- Cook uncovered for 5-8 minutes more depending on the desired doneness of eggs.
- Using tongs carefully remove ramekins from the pan.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 406mgSodium: 521mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 20g
Nutritional values are approxomite and aren't always accurate.