Mexican Rice with Tomatoes and Green Chiles is the perfect side dish to any Mexican or Tex Mex meal!
I have made this easy Mexican rice with green chilies more times than I can count over the last few weeks.
We love my basic Mexican Rice recipe that I have made for years. Sometimes though I like to change it up with a slightly different version.
Mexican Rice with Green Chiles and Tomatoes works perfectly when I want to change it up a little.
What is Mexican Rice?
Some people call it Spanish rice. I am not sure what the authentic name and ingredients are, but the Mexican Rice that I have always had contains rice that you “fry” in oil until opaque.
You then add seasonings, liquid, and some sort of tomato product.
This recipe I am sharing today also contains green chiles.
We like this rice with just about any Mexican or Tex Mex type food.
I recently served it with my Freezer Burrito Casserole and although it wasn’t the prettiest of meals it was delicious!
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1- 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, like Rotel
- Is a large saucepan or skillet with lid, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add rice. Cook and stir until rice changes color and starts to turn slightly opaque. You are basically "frying" the rice.
- Add broth, water, and tomatoes. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for 15-18 minutes or until rice is tender.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 830mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g