My nine year old daughter loves bananas. She loves anything banana. She is the one that choose a banana split cake for her birthday. So, when I saw a recipe for a banana upside-down cake in an old magazine that I bought at a used book sale, I knew that she would love it. And she did love it, we all did.
Well, okay my 11 year old daughter does not like bananas. The only way she will ever eat them is very green. She does not like them very ripe or in anything cooked. She really just doesn’t like the taste of bananas. So, this was not her favorite cake. But if you like bananas you will probably love this dessert.
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup butter, softened and cut into pieces, divided 1/4 cup for sauce and 1/2 cup for cake
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 3 large bananas, yellow but firm, sliced diagonally into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Place brown sugar, 1/4 cup of the butter and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Heat over medium low heat until butter is melted and mixture is smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rum extract and pour into a 9-inch round cake pan. ( I used a 9x9 square pan and it worked fine)
- Arrange banana slices in circles over brown sugar mixture.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup butter and sugar in a large bowl; beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating will after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- At low speed, beat in flour mixture in3 parts alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon and gently spread batter over bananas.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 min or until cake is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minute.
- Run small knife around edge of cake; carefully invert cake onto serving plate. Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 261mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 1gSugar: 36gProtein: 4g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.