Blueberries are native to North America which makes them perfect for Red, White, and Blue week and perfect for the 4th of July.
They are a summertime favorite in our house and are readily available in most places this time of year.
So, grab some blueberries and make yourself a blueberry pie for the 4th of July.
Now, my kids and I had fun with this and cut out stars with the top pie crust, but you could easily do a lattice top or just a regular pie crust with a few slits in it. However you make it, it is really good.
- 2- 9 inch pie crusts, homemade, store bought or gluten free pie crust see note below
- 7 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar, more if your berries are tart
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Roll out pie crust and place in pie tin.
- In a large bowl combine blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice.
- Pour the mixture into the pie plate.
- Top the pie with the remaining crust using a lattice top design, a cut out design, or just place on the top with slits cut into it. Trim and crimp edges and setset pie pan onto a cookie sheet, so that if the pie goes over, it will go on the cookie sheet and not your oven. Ask me how I know 🙂
- Bake pie at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Then reduce temperature to 350 and bake for about 40 more minutes. If crust get too brown set a piece of foil loosely over the top of the pie.
- Let pie cool completely before serving.
My gluten-free pie crust recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 164Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 96mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.