Need a simple dinner perfect for fall and winter? Hamburger soup is a simple soup full of ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
Some of the best recipes are the most basic recipes. They are the kind of meals that you can put together using basic ingredients that you always have on hand and that don’t cost a lot of money.
It is the kind of cooking that has been around for generations. It is not fancy or beautiful food. But it is food that feeds your family delicious food at the end of a long day.
This soup recipe came to be because I had a few things in the fridge and freezer that needed used up. I dumped them in the crock pot and hoped for the best.
What I ended up with was a soup my family loved.
Hamburger soup is a pretty classic recipe. Maybe it is more like a concept. You really do not have to follow an exact recipe for this. You can easily vary the ingredients.
If you don’t have frozen corn use canned.
If you don’t have ground beef use ground chicken or turkey.
Maybe you don’t have fresh vegetables, but you have a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. Use those instead.
If you don’t like carrots you can leave them out.
This really is a recipe that you can change up and use what you have on hand.
You can also skip the crock pot and make this on the stove top. Just cook for 20 minutes or so until all the vegetables are tender.
Need more soup recipes?
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 3-4 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- 3 14.5 ounce cans beef broth
- 2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- In a skillet or pan cook ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender. Drain off any fat.
- Place meat mixture into a 5qt or 6 qt slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6 -7 hours or on high for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
This soup can be cooked on the stove top. Cook beef and onion as directed. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.