Pumpkin makes the perfect pie for the fall and holidays.
Most traditional pumpkin pies are baked. I love a good traditional pumpkin pie, but I also enjoy pies that are a little more unique and unusual like this pumpkin cream pie.
What I found in pumpkin cream pie is the perfect combination of traditional and unique. It has the great flavor of a baked pumpkin pie, but it is more of a pudding pie, which makes it less traditional.
This pie is light and creamy and has the perfect texture. Not only that this pie is so easy. Even someone that is a non baker could make quite an impression with this pie.
- 1 Graham Cracker Crust ( use gluten free crackers for gf version )
- 2 cups of milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1-15 ounce can of pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- whipped cream, optional
- In a pan combine the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, ¼ cup sugar, and salt. Heat over medium heat.
- In a small bowl beat eggs, remaining sugar, and cornstarch together.
- Gradually whisk ½ cup hot milk mixture into eggs.
- Add egg and mixture into the remaining hot milk mixture.
- Cook over medium, stirring consistently until heated through and thickened, about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in pumpkin and butter.
- Strain through a fine sieve to remove any lumps.
- Spread into prepared graham cracker crust.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 116mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Adapted from Martha Stewart.