We love my regular granola bars. I have made them often over the last few months and my family has really enjoyed them. In fact we have had them so much we were a bit tired of them.
I decided I needed to come up with something a little different. I was not only looking for a change from our regular homemade granola bars, I was also looking for something that I did not have to bake in the oven during the hotter months of the summer.
When I saw a recipe for no bake chewy granola bars I knew they might work. As usual I did adapt them quite a bit to make them more like how my family would like them.
First of all the original recipe had pretzels in it. I don’t know about you, but pretzels in granola bars is a bit odd and I thought my family would agree with me on that one.
The other main change I made was to decrease the sugar. These were way to sweet. I cut the sugar almost in half and they were still plenty sweet.
The main thing we love about these is the texture. They are a perfect chewy granola bar.
These would work great individually wrapped and then served in lunch boxes and as snacks.
No Bake Granola Bars
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups granola, ( I used home made granola)
- 1 ½ cups rice crispy cereal ( I used gf brown rice cereal)
- raisins, crasins, and/or chocolate chips (optional)
- In a pan heat the butter, brown sugar, and honey. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in granola and cereal until well combined.
- Stir in raisins, crasins, or chocolate chips if adding. We also like these on their own with no additions. By changing around what I add in, I can vary these a little and make everyone in my family happy.
- Press mixture in to a 9×13 pan. Let mixture set for several hours or overnight before serving.
- Cut into bars and serve.
Adapted from Rachael Ray