Make Mexican rice a little bit better with this Brown Rice Mexican Rice recipe.
Today I am keeping it simple with a recipe for Mexican rice. Instead of regular Mexican rice though, I am changing it up slightly with brown rice.
I feel like I am in the minority when it comes to my love of brown rice. At least in my family, I am.
I love brown rice. I love the flavor. To me, it has a lot more flavor and better texture than regular rice.
Using brown rice in recipes is also a simple way to make rice a little bit healthier, so I keep finding new ways to incorporate it into recipes that we make all the time.
My family doesn’t love brown rice, but they do enjoy it in recipes like this that have a lot of flavor.
- brown rice
- garlic powder
- ground cumin
- tomato sauce
- chicken broth
What To Serve with Mexican Rice
- Homemade Refried Beans
- Cheater Refried Beans
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Dutch Oven Refried Beans
- Crock Pot Mexican Chicken
- Mexican Pulled Pork
- Mexican Pork Chops
- 1/4 cup vegetable or other cooking oil
- 2 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- Add rice, stirring constantly until rice starts to change color slightly. You are basically frying the rice a little bit. You don't want to burn or over brown the rice.
- While the rice is "frying" add garlic powder and cumin. Stir.
- Stir in tomato sauce, chicken broth, and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook for about 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 - 10 minutes before serving.
If you are gluten free be sure to read labels to make sure that your ingredients are gluten free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 73Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 489mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Brown rice is the whole grain of rice including the outer layers of bran and germ. Because brown rice is a whole grain it includes more vitamins and minerals.
Yes, this recipe for brown rice Mexican rice is gluten free as long as you read labels and make sure your chicken broth etc. is gluten free.