Buttered rice with vegetables is a simple side dish that goes with just about any meal.
Buttered rice is one of my favorite recipes to make when I need an easy side dish.
Buttered rice is basically what it sounds like. It is rice, butter, and broth. That is it. It goes well with chicken, beef, pork, and so many other things.
One of the ways that I like to change up my basic Buttered Rice is to add some vegetables. It turns a simple rice dish into something a little more special.
I like to make this with peppers, onions, and mushrooms, but other vegetables work as well.
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 green, red, or yellow pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 4 cups broth, beef or chicken
- In a pan melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add oil and vegetables.
- Cook over medium heat just until vegetables are slightly tender.
- Add remaining butter and cook until butter is melted.
- Add rice. Stir rice until well coated in butter and slightly browned. You are basically toasting the rice slightly.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 233mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g